Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 1996 03:38:24 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, nate@sri.MT.net
Subject:   Re: Building inside of /usr/src?

>> It will normally fail because normal users won't have write permission
>> in /usr/obj, and in any case it only applies for building standard

>If normal users want to build sources like this then they should
>probably either not use obj (same problem existed before after all,
>they just had the option of "fixing" it differently) or they should
>set MAKEOBJDIR to point to a hierarchy where they DO have write
>permission.

Yes, but MAKEOBJDIR's operation is inconvenient for this since the full
path to the current directory gets appended to it.  If my source is in
~/src which is N levels below /, the obj dirs will go N levels below
$MAKEOBJDIR.  For MAKEOBJDIR=~/obj, I would like paths involving ~/src
to be substituted to ~/obj (much like the old bsd.prog.mk did).  This
can almost be done by allowing MAKEOBJDIR to be a subsitution pattern
(make probably needs to parse it specially).

>> There is no reason to break the old behaviour.  If you want to break
>> it, break it properly by removing the builtin /usr/obj path which is
>> at best right for building /usr/src.

>Where would you recommend I set it then?  I don't like putting it

Put it in bsd.own.mk or somewhere that gets included everwhere for
building /usr/src (and ports?).  bsd.own.mk and (/etc/mk.conf) currently
get included in sys.mk.  This should be fixed soon - include bsd.own.mk
only in bsd.*.mk and split up /etc/make.conf...

>in make either, it was simply the least invasive change to modify
>the meaning of MAKEOBJDIR and adjust _PATH_OBJDIR to match.  If
>you want to eliminate the default value entirely then I guess we
>could set it in sys.mk - would that make you happier? :-)

If it has the old semantics (for "obj").

Bruce