Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2002 10:52:55 -0000
From:      Mike Dewhirst <Dewhirst.M@UCLES.org.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Intel of AMD?

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1CC0F.90055990

I have a very stable server running on a Tyan tiger Dual Athlon mobo, with 2
x 1.6Ghz Palominos (Athlon MP). I am running Freebsd 4.4, Apache 1.32,
Tomcat 4.1, PostgreSQL 7.2 and Mysql (can't remember ver) on it very
happily. Installing Oracle this weekend.

The _only_ thing you have to pay particular attention with Athlons, is that
you put descent fans on them, and use plenty of thermal paste. Otherwise -
stable as you like and almost half the price of an Intel equivalent.
Temperature will _not_ be a problem, as long as you use good props (I think
Thermaltake are the best -
http://www.thermaltake.com/products/heatsink/v6plus.htm).

As far as 1U is concearned, there are plenty of chassis specifically
designed for Athlons. Appro (www.appro.com) make a superb (but expensive)
dual one, and there are plenty of other good single proc ones.

If you are in the uk, www.dev0g.com resell Appro's at descent prices..

Hope this helps!

Mike

=**********************************************************

If you are not the intended recipient, employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or copying of this communication and its attachments is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication and its attachments in error, please return the original message and attachments to the sender using the reply facility on e-mail.

Internet communications are not secure and therefore the UCLES Group does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the UCLES Group unless otherwise specifically stated.

MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses although this does not guarantee that this email is virus free.

**********************************************************=

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1CC0F.90055990

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<META NAME=3D"Generator" CONTENT=3D"MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>RE: Intel of AMD?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I have a very stable server running on a Tyan tiger Dual =
Athlon mobo, with 2 x 1.6Ghz Palominos (Athlon MP). I am running Freebsd 4.=
4, Apache 1.32, Tomcat 4.1, PostgreSQL 7.2 and Mysql (can't remember ver) o=
n it very happily. Installing Oracle this weekend.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>The _only_ thing you have to pay particular attention wit=
h Athlons, is that you put descent fans on them, and use plenty of thermal =
paste. Otherwise - stable as you like and almost half the price of an Intel=
 equivalent. Temperature will _not_ be a problem, as long as you use good p=
rops (I think Thermaltake are the best - <A HREF=3D"http://www.thermaltake.=
com/products/heatsink/v6plus.htm" TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.thermaltake.=
com/products/heatsink/v6plus.htm</A>).</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>As far as 1U is concearned, there are plenty of chassis s=
pecifically designed for Athlons. Appro (www.appro.com) make a superb (but =
expensive) dual one, and there are plenty of other good single proc ones.</=
FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>If you are in the uk, www.dev0g.com resell Appro's at des=
cent prices..</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Hope this helps!</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Mike</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; -----Original Message-----</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; From: Geert [<A HREF=3D"mailto:sec@hict.nl">mailto:=
sec@hict.nl</A>]</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Sent: 15 March 2002 10:20</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org; info@w4r.nl</FON=

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Subject: Intel of AMD?</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&nbsp; Hi all,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; I have to build a new webserver. Normally I took an=
 Intel </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; PIII ~800 Mhz</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; with 256 Mb memory. Now I'm thinking to use a AMD.<=
/FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; What do you think of it?</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; How is AMD with the temperature? And how works Free=
BSD on AMD?</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; The problem is that we have to build all servers in=
 a 1 Unit high 19''</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; case (about 4,5 cm) and therefor it's not allowed t=
o get a hot</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; processor.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Please let me know what your experiences are with A=
MD.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Greetz,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Geert Houben</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org<=
/FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; with &quot;unsubscribe freebsd-questions&quot; in t=
he body of the message</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
</P>

<CODE><FONT SIZE=3D3><BR>
<BR>
=3D**********************************************************<BR>
<BR>
If you are not the intended recipient, employee or agent responsible for de=
livering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified tha=
t any dissemination or copying of this communication and its attachments is=
 strictly prohibited.<BR>
<BR>
If you have received this communication and its attachments in error, pleas=
e return the original message and attachments to the sender using the reply=
 facility on e-mail.<BR>
<BR>
Internet communications are not secure and therefore the UCLES Group does n=
ot accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.  Any views=
 or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessaril=
y represent those of the UCLES Group unless otherwise specifically stated.<=

<BR>
This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by<BR>
MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses although this does not gua=
rantee that this email is virus free.<BR>
<BR>