Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2000 02:31:03 -0500
From:      "Ryan Masse" <rmasse@max-info.net>
To:        "robin richman" <robinrichman@hotmail.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Hi I hope that you can help me..

From: "robin richman" <robinrichman@hotmail.com>

> I hope that you can help me, I'm interested in doing some hosting from
home, my home page, and the such >like, I have a dial up connection and
access to an ADSL (asynchronous digital subscriber line / loop) which
>connects throu a simple router... I also have an HP netserver, an alot of
interest in the area of the internet, I've >read all those pages which say
how easy it is to host and how simple the process is, I was just wondering
>what I actually need to do...

ADSL, asynchronous digital subscriber line, as you boldly put it offers much
greater downstream bandwith then up. On a anverage 1mb ADSL connection you
will maybe get 12-15kb/s tops for an upstream. If you plan on running any of
the services mentioned above on this line you won't have much speed to back
you for on the most part a server occupies the upstream part of your
connection. Not to mention the fact that an ADSL line as much less priority
for services then say a t1 so frequent downtime may be a factor.

> I know that I need to install an OS on the server, It had NT on it (by
default) but I've put LINUX on it as I thought that was what I needed, but
now I've discovered you...

FBSD as everyone knows is a superior OS than any Linux distribution for
robustness, security and performance...

> What I want is to host either one or more domains for my home site, and to
have a mail server and an FTP server, I understand that I can do all of this
in this one machine, I also think that I can get my DNS done by dynip is
this so? I want all these servers so that I can have POP3 mail, and be able
to update my homepage from work, and to easily move large files from work to
home and back again(FTP).

All of these services can be run with FBSD most are even enable (working) on
install of the operating system. As for DNS goes you may run into some
problems seting it up originally i'm pretty sure there are proggies in the
ports for dynamic DNS hosting. If you could get a static address life would
be much easier.

> Is your OS the one to use, and if so what do I neeed to install, or is it
all there, How do I configure it as a www server, a mail server, and an FTP
server. Alos should I be woried about security and hacking?

You either can purchase a copy of bsd from one of many resellers or download
a copy of the OS on the net. Both will get you pretty much the same thing
but it is always good to help out the BSD cause and purchase a copy. As for
the installation of the services again most are already configured on
install and ready to go. You may need to read up on Apache, www.apache.org
for your mail server setup. Other than that FBSD is the OS for you! :)

Good luck,

Ryan Masse,
IT / Authoring Tech
Mastery Group of Canada Inc.