Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 2003 23:08:00 -0500
From:      Chris Pepper <pepper@reppep.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Proposed addition to the mail section of the handbook

At 10:56 AM -0500 2003/12/02, Bill Moran wrote:
>Josef El-Rayes wrote:

>>should this really be covered by the handbook? isn't
>>the handbook a resource for freebsd specific topics?
>
>I belive the handbook should have this section.  There are many
>circumstances where a FreeBSD machine will need to do mail
>in a "send-only" capacity.  Users should be able to find documentation
>on how to make it work.

>Perhaps the handbook is not the correct place for this?  I'm open
>to suggestions, but the handbook was the best place I could find.

	I think this is worth listing. There should be something in
the Handbook so people looking there learn it's possible to send mail
without a fully-configured sendmail installation. It would also be
fine to put this content into the FAQ, and link to it from Chapter 20
(Electronic Mail), but is probably easier to maintain if it's in the
Handbook proper. It's certainly not doubling the size of the
Handbook. ;)

	I think this information is useful and convenient, but if the
Handbook avoids describing ports, it would be enough to say
mail/ssmtp is available, offers trivial configuration, and provides a
manual page for further information.

	Looking at the rendered
<http://www.potentialtech.com/wmoran/handbook/outgoing-only.html>, I
see a few issues (perhaps already fixed in source):

>Your computer is a desktop machine, but you'll want to use FreeBSD
>programs such as .

	Is send-pr not appearing here for some reason?

>but needs to pass off all mail to a mail relay for processing.

	s/mail to a mail relay/mail to a relay/

	s/nitch/niche/

	s/your agreement probably forbids/your agreement may forbid/

						Regards,

						Chris Pepper
--
Chris Pepper:               <http://www.reppep.com/~pepper/>;