Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 2015 15:48:16 +0300
From:      Slawa Olhovchenkov <slw@zxy.spb.ru>
To:        David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "Lundberg, Johannes" <johannes@brilliantservice.co.jp>, Andreas Nilsson <andrnils@gmail.com>, Anders Bolt-Evensen <andersbo87@icloud.com>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel Haswell support - Any updates?
References:  <55FA7324.5010603@icloud.com> <CAASDrV=D6viCDJx9yT5CiNf1ukiz_Rp1k5wqpk92xSyiNQTEqg@mail.gmail.com> <CAPS9%2BSuYq6JqzX=aHNgD=y5SUnBQ4x_Amk-6B0bvKc6kRQ5YVA@mail.gmail.com> <CAASDrVnxZ8MUmgCO-cFRVatUMQS1LHU-4XASSJckzp_FJbvd2w@mail.gmail.com> <09A515F2-44BA-4DF0-9792-D4C56EEB9D7C@FreeBSD.org> <CAASDrVnuVfOsJvNuOsAQaHYRQqFenH%2B3=wNDBO5GR5j2KgxsxQ@mail.gmail.com> <114F22EF-61E3-4D75-84FB-9D6E3FBCB8F3@FreeBSD.org>

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 12:43:59PM +0100, David Chisnall wrote:

> On 17 Sep 2015, at 11:31, Lundberg, Johannes <johannes@brilliantservice.co.jp> wrote:
> >
> > Anyway, I wish the foundation would support the graphics team by sponsoring this development...
>
> The Foundation did fund a lot of this work, and likely will again.
> The problem is not willingness of the Foundation to fund it, nor
> availability of funds.  As with WiFi, it's availability of people
> who have both the competence and interest to do the work and the
> availability to work as consultants for the Foundation.

> Long term, the real solution is to convince GPU vendors to put as
> much effort into funding FreeBSD driver development as they do into
> funding Linux and Windows driver development.  The Foundation has
> been reaching out in this direction, but it's far more compelling if
> people can document cases where lack of FreeBSD support has cost a
> vendor sales.  If you've bought a system with an nVidia or AMD GPU
> (or, ideally, if your company has bought a few thousand) because of
> lack of FreeBSD support from Intel, then let Intel know.

Impotant: if you already buy Intel system -- Intel will be ignored
you, only future sales important.