Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 1998 15:15:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        eivind@yes.no (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        eivind@yes.no, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any feedback on my recent kernel 'fixes'

Eivind Eklund said:
> On Thu, Feb 05, 1998 at 07:44:54PM +0100, Eivind Eklund wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 04, 1998 at 11:59:10PM -0500, Mark Mayo wrote:
> > > Well, I just cvsup'ed and have been pounding my box with "real world"
> > > workstation type use.. I have 32MB of RAM, and I ran several
> > > copies of Netscape,
> >
> > Hey - which Netscape?  I've got 64M and 141M swap, and I'm getting
> > 'out of swap space' _often_ with just a single Netscape 4.04 and a
> > couple of Netscape-windows.
> >
> > I've got a couple of related things that might be of significance - I
> > have bktr in the kernel, run 1600x1200x16-bit resolution, and I'm
> > running XFree.
> >
> > Eivind, who just thought he was way too low on swap...
>
> And in case anybody wonders - this has been going on for months, and
> is still present in a -current kernel of 15h ago.
>
> I don't think Johns changes has anything to do with it.

When you think that the system is running low on swap, send me a copy
of all of the VM info that you can:

	1)	for i in /proc/*/map
		do
		echo $i::
		cat $i
		done >mapinfo

	2)	vmstat -s
	3)	vmstat -m
	4)	pstat -s
	5)	ps -xla
	6)	sysctl kern
	7)	sysctl vm
	8)	sysctl vfs

Kernel config file, dmesg, etc.

This should be a reasonably large part of the info that I can digest.
(I don't think that there is any private info in these items, but check it
 just in case.)

I'll try to look at it.  You don't have to wait until you actually run
out of swap to send me the info.  Just make sure that you have used a large
part of your swap space.