Date:      Wed, 2 Mar 2005 18:04:14 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        John Pettitt <jpp@cloudview.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stable device names for USB disks?

In the last episode (Mar 02), John Pettitt said:

> I seem to recall there was a neat trick involving GEOM to allow USB
> disks to be mounted in the same place every time the system boots but I
> can't find it.   Right now my system (5.3 RELEASE) seems to being a
> random da? device for each drive that changes with every reboot -
> clearly not a good situation.
>
> Does anybody have a fix for this?

Two options:

- Wire your devices down (man scsi) so that your usb controller is
  always, say, scbus1, and target 0 off scbus1 is da1.  You may also
  have to wire down your boot controller and disk.

- Use geom_label, label your FAT32 or ufs filesystems, and always mount
  /dev/msdosfs/blah or /dev/ufs/blah

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com