Date:      Sat, 31 Aug 2002 21:08:46 +0100
From:      Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com>
To:        Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Oliver Braun <obraun@informatik.unibw-muenchen.de>, ports@freebsd.org, dwcjr@freebsd.org, jos@catnook.com
Subject:   Re: Please review patch (was: ports/42074: rsync depends on many other packages - popt dependencies?)

On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 09:12:41AM -0300, Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira wrote:
> 	At the current stage of things, there are 2 side effects
> of making gettext support optional (if that is at all possible, I
> haven't investigated yet):
>
> 	1) It will drop down localized support which may not
> be important for the messages but IS for the parameters

Surely you're not saying that the command-line flags themselves are
localised, e.g. so that '--help' would become '--aide'? That would guarantee
scripts to be non-portable.

Apart from that, rsync's parameters are mostly filenames and glob patterns.
If any of those characters have the high bit set, would the shell not just
pass them straight through?

> 	2) It will break the dependency list for several ports.
> Some of them relied on the fact that gettext already pulled either
> libiconv or expat as dependencies. So we would have to identify
> and explicitily add dependencies to some ports

Or build a different package of popt, e.g. popt-no-gettext (like psutils-a4
or cvsup-without-gui)

Regards,

Brian.