Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 1995 21:26:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@tribe.com>
To:        jaykuri@interaccess.com (Jay Kuri)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xcdplayer

jaykuri@interaccess.com (Jay Kuri) writes:
> > "cdplay cd0" works fine when run by me (under a normal account).
> > However "xcdplayer" starts up with the display all scrunched up
> > and overlapped, with no visible buttons.
>
>     Well, the reason the display is scrunched is that you don't have the
> XCdplayer file in the /usr/X11/lib/X11/app-defaults/ directory.  If you
> copy the XCdplayer into that directory the display should fix itself.

Aha! I installed the package under /usr/local, so XCdplayer went into
/usr/local/lib/X11/app-defaults instead. Copying it over fixed that.

I don't know if this is a "bug" ? Is there some global X11 variable
which tells where to find app-defaults?

The reason we do it this way is so packages get shared by everyone
via NFS mounting of /usr/local.

> > Doing a ktrace shows it getting "Permission denied" when trying
> > to open /dev/cd0a and /dev/rcd0a, even though a list of /dev/*cd0*
> > shows everything having mode 666.
>
>    No clue here tho.  Mine tends to get this if the disk isn't spun-up
> when I start xcdplayer... but it usually spins up and the problem goes
> away.  If it is always doing that tho, You've got me stumped.

This problem magically went away also, hmm, OK.

-Archie

Archie L. Cobbs, archie@tribe.com  *  Tribe Computer Works http://www.tribe.com