Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 00:51:07 -0700
From:      "George W. Dinolt" <gdinolt@pacbell.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org, mark@grondar.za
Subject:   Re: Bootstrapping perl ...

I have found that the following small diff to /usr/src/Makefile.inc1
allows the buildworld to proceed:

*** Makefile.inc1~      Mon Jun 26 23:00:54 2000
--- Makefile.inc1       Mon Jun 26 23:27:05 2000
***************
*** 123,129 ****
  WORLDTMP=     ${OBJTREE}${.CURDIR}/${BUILD_ARCH}
  # /usr/games added for fortune which depend on strfile
  STRICTTMPPATH=
${WORLDTMP}/usr/sbin:${WORLDTMP}/usr/bin:${WORLDTMP}/usr/games
! TMPPATH=      ${STRICTTMPPATH}:${PATH}

  #
  # Building a world goes through the following stages
--- 123,129 ----
  WORLDTMP=     ${OBJTREE}${.CURDIR}/${BUILD_ARCH}
  # /usr/games added for fortune which depend on strfile
  STRICTTMPPATH=
${WORLDTMP}/usr/sbin:${WORLDTMP}/usr/bin:${WORLDTMP}/usr/games
! TMPPATH=
${STRICTTMPPATH}:${OBJTREE}${.CURDIR}/gnu/usr.bin/perl/miniperl:${PATH}

  #
  # Building a world goes through the following stages

This is probably only a temporary fix and is not the right approach, but
it does illustrate that the problem is  that the  miniperl  from
/usr/bin/miniperl was being called by the
/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/Makefile.inc and not the one built during the
buildworld.

Since "miniperl" is referenced in the perl/Makefile.inc either one has
to "hardcode" the version of miniperl, i.e. include the path of the
version of miniperl for each reference in that makefile, or one should
install miniperl someplace in ${WORLDTMP} which is included in the path.
The former appears to be more in the spirit of "build-tools" since these
"tools' do not install their targets.  They assume that the targets
operate in place. The later (installing miniperl inside of ${WORLDTMP)
would require an update to the build-tools target in perl/miniperl.

Maybe none of the above is the correct approach, but these are some
ideas.

Regards, George Dinolt

Note: My buildworld has not completed as I write this but it has gotten
through the bootstrap and makedepends part of the  perl build and I need
to get to bed.