Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 2009 12:10:03 -0800
From:      Daniel Duerr <dd@gizmocreative.com>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: EST SpeedStep with E2140 shows wrong frequencies

Thanks for the reply, John.

I did look into the Cx states as well and I'm only offered C1 (which
I've switched to C1E through the BIOS).  I'm running on a relatively
new Supermicro server motherboard which, if price/features were any
indicator, would support the multiple Cx states offered by today's
CPUs.  So, I'm wondering if the reason why I am only seeing one state
is a limitation of my CPU or a limitation of the motherboard.  I did
do some research on Intel's site yesterday and it appears that my CPU
only supports C1/C1E.

Do you have any thoughts on this and/or any ideas how I might go about
figuring out where the limiting factor is here?  If I can confirm that
my motherboard/BIOS supports the full range of Cx states then I'll
focus on finding a better CPU with more options.

Also, do you have any recommended approaches for generating test CPU
load (say 90-100%) so that I can compare the system power consumption
to when it's idle?  If I'm already indeed idling (in C1E state) at the
8W consumption Intel suggests then I don't need any more Cx states
because that is low enough for me.

Thanks again for your help!

Cheers,
Daniel

--
daniel duerr   |   president   |   gizmo creative
dd@gizmocreative.com  |  +1 (831) 621-1710 x103