Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 07:46:53 -0800
From:      Craig Burgess <craig-burgess@home.net>
To:        Nick Barbarise <barbarin@wholefoods.com>
Cc:        Matt Gostick <matt@crazylogic.net>, free <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: help-

Nick Barbarise wrote:

> actually I ran boot kernel.GENERIC and now i do not know a username nor
> password any clue? on anything below or this
> please reply to me-

Yes, until you build a custom kernel the system will boot the generic
one.

At the end of file copying (initial installation of FreeBSD) you ought
to have been returned to one of the menus which included "post
installation" options, which is where you set the manager (root)
password, create users and so forth.  If you didn't create a user yet,
you have only 'root' as a useful user id and if you didn't give root a
password there won't be one.

This isn't MS-Windows where your control is pretty much limited to
desktop colors and icon placement. FreeBSD is a multi-user operating
system by design. A multi-user OS has important implications, among
them:  whoever is "in charge" is responsible for creating user accounts,
deciding what users can -- and cannot -- do, and defining system
security policies.  All of these policies, and more, are up to you as
administrator, and every decision you make will have "consequences."

It's okay to be a novice but it's important that you learn how things
work so that you can avoid "shooting yourself in the foot." Generally
you will find people on the FreeBSD list(s) to be helpful. Nobody was
born knowing this stuff (regardless of appearances or claims) and if you
seem to be learning the ropes people will be willing to provide
guidance.

I agree with Nick:  if you installed the ports, pick which Apache port
you want and do 'make install' for it.  If you have /usr/ports look in
/usr/ports/www for the Apache choices -- and there are several,
depending on what you want to do.

craig

--
For a man to truly understand rejection, he must first be ignored by a
cat.