Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 10:20:23 -0700
From:      "Michelle R. Sanchez, CNE" <msanchez@polyserve.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   question for the freebsd community

hello,

i work for a software company in berkeley that makes high availability
server clustering software. we have a distribution for freebsd. our
software is distributed and runs as a daemon on one's existing servers
which are to be clustered together.

in addition to making servers highly available, we also have the ability
to monitor services such as http, smtp, and generic tcp apps by
utilizing their ports and trying to make a tcp connection to them or
sending an http head request if http is the one being monitored. if our
software doesn't receive the anticipated reply - it will failover to the
backup machine even though the primary machine is still physically
running.

we have had a lot of requests from customers wishing to make their
firewalls highly available by clustering them together and putting a
service monitor on the firewall port in case the firewall daemon should
hang. this is probably not very likely but they would like to be able to
do so in any case.

my questions are these:

1] is it a good idea to try to put a service monitor on IPFW? If so,
does this compromise the firewall in any way?

i am not a firewall expert by any means but i think that you would not
want to take this approach. our service monitor tries to connect to the
application once per second or by some user-definable interval.

2] someone once suggested to monitor the port that the 'console' uses to
talk to the firewall if you are trying to configure it remotely. would
this be recommended? does it mean leaving the 'console' up all the time?

3] is there a configuration that could be made where the firewall would
allow a tcp connection to be made by a specific IP address only -
without any compromise? if so, how can this be done.

the books i have purchased on firewalls and IPFW documentation
unfortunately do not provide enough information for us to make a sound
decision on this issue.

i have researched this to the best of my ability and now i realize that
i must ask the freebsd community for assistance. if anyone has any
insight to provide on this issue - we would be most appreciative.

kindest regards,

michelle r. sanchez, cne/rhce
polyserve technical support
msanchez@polyserve.com