Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 08:22:39 +1100
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 128Meg Bug

On Tue, Jan 12, 1999 at 04:50:05PM +0100, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 1999 at 10:16:18AM +0000, H. Bora Karayaka wrote:
> > I am running a FreeBSD 2.2.7 GENERIC system with 128Meg RAM memory.
> > Initially I could not install FreeBSD with this much memory and I used
> > 16Meg memory during installation. After installation I switched back to
> > 128 Meg memory. Everything worked fine till I try to rebuild my kernel.
> > The "make" instruction required for rebuilding exited everytime with a
> > signal and did not do it. I switched back to 16 Meg again and I
> > successfully rebuilt my custom kernel. Now I am affraid doing anything
> > on this system. Is there any workaround for this problem ?
>
> I don't know of a 128M problem.  I suspect that you are having a problem
> with your RAM and/or motherboard.
>
> Are you speaking of running make for building a kernel? Or do you mean
> 'make world'?

i don;t make world, i kjust taylor custom kernels for the rest of my system and it works
flawlessly .. so far.

> What CPU are you using? What MB brand?

i am using a real intel p6 at 180 mhz (no over clocking) on a supermicro motherboard
p6sne with 128 mb of full parity ecc dram

> I don't want to leave the impression that I would have a solution
> for you. It's just a vague guess that you may have bad or not well matched
> memory.

could also be the motherboard is set for the wrong kind of dram, parity and ecc fro non
parity or non ecc dram, edo is notorious (inmy neck of teh woods) fro casing weird
systems probels if its incoreectly discovered by teh system bios.

regards

jonathan