Date:      Sat, 19 May 2001 01:07:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Nathan Vidican" <nvidican@ipsnetwork.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   OT: how about a chance to boast about your hardware... (and help solve a problem w/ squid)

Just for the sake of curiosity, and comparasin; what are any of you
guys out there running for http/web caching boxes. In specific, those
which are enabled as proxies for a multitude of clients. Reason being
that I find my cache to be unusally slow, though the machine it sits on
shows a really low load. I'm running squid with a 1gig cachedir,
seperated into 16 dirs, each with 16 inside them, (256 sub-dirs total),
on an Intel Pentium Pro (512K) machine with 196megs RAM, using a 68pin
SCSI UW 7200RPM disk. The system only has one NIC currently, which is
connected to the 'outside' network at 100BaseTX Full duplex, on a fully
switched LAN, (using Cisco catalysts).
   When I d/l a file through a NAT gateway (little 486dx33, 8megs RAM,
10mbit linespeed on private side (also switched) and 10mbit linespeed
on public side (two nics)), I achieve anywhere from 60Kilobytes (not
bits..) upward to 256+ kilobytes per second dependadant upon the site
I'm connecting to. However, when I d/l the same file using the proxy
server it starts out the same (maybe a little less, say
50kilobytes/sec), then rapidly drops to about 12-15 kilobytes per
second (this is pertaining only to large files, >2megs like). I would
prefer to utilize the cache whenever possible though, and am not yet
ready to give up on it.
   I've been using the cache primarily for larger file downloads, and
to allow the office LANs to surf the web (forces authentication on
outside URLs and logs user activity). For example, I
downloaded/installed kde-2.1.1 over said proxy this evening, as I am
intent upon installing the same app, (and therfor having to d/l all the
same files again), I'd prefer to have most of it cached on the LAN to
save bandwidth.
   In short: I need to know if it's just the machine I'm using isn't
adequate, or if maybe I should be doing something else? Just figured
I'd give a shout-out and see what everyone else seems to be doing to
accomplish the same type of thing. I'd be interested to know what kind
of hardware configuration everyone else seems to be using (or aiming to
use), weather or not anything else is run on the machine, weather or
not to use multiple (possibly smaller) machines vs one large one, and
basically anything else prudent. Also, any advise on wheather or not to
utilize this machine for anything more than just squid or not,
(currently running DNS services too).

--
Nathan Vidican
Nathan@Vidican.com