Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2002 22:06:29 +1100
From:      Mark Hannon <markhannon@optushome.com.au>
To:        ex279@hotmail.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Internal Machine/Firewall -- Getting it to resolve names

> in a DNS Host Address, but I stil can't send mail out.  The port in the
> firewall is open.  I can telnet into port 25 from home, but I can't send
> mail from the server, going out.  I haven't tried incomming.  Any
> suggestions?

Please have a look at the output of the mailq command (it will give you
some
clues as to where you outgoing mail is) and the contents of
/var/log/maillog.
Hopefully one of these files will help you debug your sendmail.

You are probably right to suspect DNS problems for sendmail ... you
should edit
/etc/resolv.conf to point to your external DNS to get this enabled.

/mark