Date:      Sat, 12 Aug 2000 17:59:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
To:        jan@ic.unicamp.br
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: moving from Debian Linux

Hi,

On Sat, 12 Aug 2000, Jan Pfeifer wrote:

> 1. I tried configuring my ethernet card by hand, using ifconfig, and
> it worked out. But where (or using which program) should I configure
> it permanently ?

/etc/rc.conf or /etc/rc.local

To find the format look in /etc/defaults/rc.conf.  Make any changes to
your own copy (rc.conf or rc.local) and not to the default.

> BTW, where should I configure the default DNS address -- it didn't
> install any /etc/resolv.conf, should I create it ?

Just create it.  (I thought the install did this if you specified a
network install, but not sure what happens if you do a CD install).

> 2. it would be nice if both systems (FreeBSD and Linux) would share
> the same /home/ partition. Which (and why?) partition format should I
> use: ufs or ext2 ? I mean, Linux docs states that ufs support is
> experimental, and I read somewhere that ext2 is also unstable in
> FreeBSD. Both seems to support msdos partitions quite well, but I
> wouldn't be happy if I need to use it :)

I can't speak to this at all.

> 3. to configure XFree86 for FreeBSD I just copied my linux
> configuration file, changed the fonts and pointer sections.

X is a voodoo ritual.  Sacrifice your chicken and run xf86config or
XF86Config again.  You'd think you could just do what you did but....

I always have a chicken on hand when I do a new install w/ X.  :-)

> 4. I noticed the ports and packaging system uses /usr/local/...
> directories to store the installed programs/packages. Where does local
> programs that I wish to install goes ?

FreeBSD installs the base software in /usr/bin or /usr/sbin.  Any ported
or packaged software will get installed in /usr/local/bin or
/usr/X11R6/bin.  If you have additional software you can put it in
/usr/local/bin or some other directory of your choosing, but you'll
obviously need to modify your path to match it.  I personally install
local software that I've compiled into /usr/local/bin or if only I'm using
it, into my personal bin directory.

> sorry for the basic questions, I just don't have anyone around that
> uses FreeBSD to help me here :)

No problem - good luck!

Brett
-----
"Like dogs, bicycles are social catalysts that attract a superior category
of people." - Chip Brown, "A Bike and a Prayer"