Date:      Sun, 6 May 2001 11:23:19 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        DAC <usmc1@dslextreme.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Configuring X

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 08:04:28PM -0800, DAC wrote:
> Is there a default video card selection , my video card is built into
> the motherboard (I dont know who makes the MB ) this is a Compaq
> Deskpro pentium 100 , if anyone knows where to go from here or where
> to look on the MB please let me know ,sorry to bug 'ya

If you run the X configuration program and cannot identify your video
card (or whatever it is) in the list, you can't tell X how to speak
to it. When faced with that problem myself, if nobody else can
suggest anything, I've used the generic Super VGA settings (can't
remember what they're called).

Sorry, I'm not the person to ask, I've been installing FreeBSD for
years and always get stumped on X setups no matter what the brand
of Unix, because I always seem to get whacky hardware that nobody
knows about. The current machine for example runs only 640x480 8bpp
or text console mode because I have no manual for the no-name monitor.

I'm not asking for help for myself, but showing you that it is
no reflection on your FreeBSD ability, and that others might not know
either, that you can do a lot without X, and that I am the _last_
person you should be asking :-)

Also, you should realise that once you have X running, your work will
still be mainly typing at a command line just as it would be without X.
There's no "click here to turn your desktop into a server and dial your
ISP" kind of magic. So don't fret, and while waiting you can do all of
your FreeBSD work without X because it doesn't need a GUI (unless you
need to work with pictures), instead of stressing out or stopping.

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 10:25:09PM -0800, DAC wrote:
> Warning :'fonts.dir" not found (or not valid) in "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts 100dp
> i".
>                 Entry deleted from font path.
>                (Run 'mkfontdir' on "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100di")

Here it's trying to tell you exactly what to do to fix your fonts, but
it's a bit opaque to a newbie. 'man mkfontdir' shows that the syntax
is easy, in this case (as root) you should run
    mkfontdir /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100di
to get rid of that error message. It won't help you get X set up, though.

> (**) FontPath set to "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/
> fonts/75dpi:unscaled,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dp
> i"
> (--) SVGA : PCI: Cirrus Logic GD5436 rev 0, Memory @ 0x0000000
> (--) SVGA : clgd5436: Specifying a clocks line makes no sense for this driver
> (--) SVGA : Chipset: clgd5436
> (--) SVGA : videoram: 1024k
> (**) SVGA : clocks 25.23  28.32  41.16  36.08  31.50  39.99  45.08
> (**) SVGA : Using 24 bpp, Depth 24, Color weight : 888
> (--) SVGA : Maximum allowed dot-clock: 48.810 Mhz
> (--) SVGA : There is no mode definition named "640x480"
>

> Fatal server error:
> No valid modes found.
>
> X connection to:0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

> I realize this is a videocard error, my card is not really a card,
> but a chip attatched to the motherboard Cirrus Logic GD5436

Try searching for relevant terms, such as 'Cirrus Logic' or 'GD5436',
in the freebsd-questions archive (if it's up) or on dejanews. Someone
might have had this problem before and solved it.

Maybe some kind soul from freebsd-questions will step in and tell us
that I'm stupid and there is a simple answer :-)

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-