Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2007 09:37:27 +0100
From:      Pascal Hofstee <caelian@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   __aeabi_read_tp missing symbol

Hi,

I just finished writing a small application for my job on FreeBSD/i386
making sure everything compiles WARNS=9 clean. Now comes the task to
move this code over to our embedded platform which is an Intel XScale
(Linksys NSLU2) at the moment i have not been able to test out cognet@'s
FreeBSD/arm work yet .. so we're using a Linux (Debian/Etch) to do our
embedded development on, so i apologise if this tunrs out to be a Linux
problem and i am asking the wrong people for assistence :)

The problem i am encountering is that during the link stage i get a lot
of the following link errors:

datastream.o: In function `deleteSynchronisedData':
...../datastream.c:909: undefined reference to `__aeabi_read_tp'

Googling so far has taught me that this is GCC's work and well the
following:

`-mtp=NAME'
      Specify the access model for the thread local storage pointer.
      The valid models are `soft', which generates calls to
      `__aeabi_read_tp', `cp15', which fetches the thread pointer from
      `cp15' directly (supported in the arm6k architecture), and `auto',
      which uses the best available method for the selected processor.
      The default setting is `auto'.

Obviously GCC is of the opinion that it should use the "soft" access model for
thread local storage (which i am indeed using a lot in this source file). But
somehow the link stage fails to find these symbols.

Where should these symbols be coming from normally and how would i go about
fixing my link stage ... It seems as if the compiler is of the opinion that
TLS is supported.

Once again i know this is currently on a Linux platform but i have much bigger
trust in the FreeBSD community to provide sensible answers in this regard.

--
  Pascal Hofstee