Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 10:54:58 -0700
From:      chris <neo@uclink.berkeley.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new user woes

At 03:22 PM 7/12/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 01:41:59AM -0700, chris wrote:
> > Hello, two things,
> >
> > One, I have an extended fat32 partition on the same drive (ide) that
> > FreeBSD 4.6 is installed on.  I have tried mounting it with 'mount -t
> msdos
> > /dev/ad0s5 /mnt', but only to get a 'Device not configured' error.
>
>Could you post the output of `mount`? I've once had troubles too with
>mounting fat32 partitions since the slice-numbering often turns out to be
>different from what you might expect.

the partition i want to mount isn't listed in mount, but here's the output
anyway:

/dev/ad4s1a on / (ufs, local)
/dev/ad4s1f on /tmp (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ad4s1g on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ad4s1e on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
procfs on /proc (procfs, local)

also, fdisk displays the slice i'm having trouble mounting as ad4s2, which
i've also tried to mount, but I get an 'Invalid argument' error if I do so.

> > Second, I'm having difficulty getting my mouse to work properly in X.  It
> > works in the console, but when I load either kde or gnome, the moment i
> > move the mouse the slightest bit, it jumps to the topleft corner of the
> > screen, sometimes opening a menu on the desktop.  It does not respond to
> > mouse clicks, and moving the mouse does not do much.  It is a USB MS
> > Intellimouse optical.  I have also tried using a generic ps/2 mouse, but I
> > get the same error.
> >

>For moused in console use:
>"moused -p /dev/ums0"
>or set the appropriate values in /etc/rc.conf.

'moused -p /dev/ums0' in console returns a 'Device busy' error.  My lines
for the mouse in /etc/rc.conf are as follows, however:

moused_port="/dev/ums0"
moused_type="auto"
moused_enable="YES"

>For X use:
>"Options" "Protocol" "Auto"
>"Options" "Device"   "/dev/sysmouse"
>see `man 5 XF86Config`.
>
>This should get the USB mouse working in both X and the console.

Those are the the settings I'm already using...but it still doesn't work.