Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:26:57 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Viren Patel" <virenp@cm.utexas.edu>
To:        "Josh Paetzel" <josh@tcbug.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems getting a jail running on 5.3-RELEASE using man 8 jail

> I am running a 5.3-RELEASE-p5 machine.
>
> $uname -a
> FreeBSD twinmp.tcbug.org 5.3-RELEASE-p5 FreeBSD
> 5.3-RELEASE-p5 #0: Wed
> Feb  9 16:54:40 CST 2005
> jpaetzel@twinmp.tcbug.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TWINMP
> i386
>
> Hardware is basic PC sound/lan/video, 4 IDE channels, dual
> AMD MP
> processors. dmesg is attached.
>
> I am following the following procedure in the jail
> manpage:
>
> #D=/usr/local/jail
> #cd /usr/src
> #mkdir -p $D
> #make world DESTDIR=$D
> #cd etc
> #make distribution DESTDIR=$D
> #mount_devfs devfs $D/dev
> #cd $D
> #ln -sf dev/null kernel
>
> I get to:
> #make world DESTDIR=$D
> and the compile fails at the following point:
>
> ===> games/fortune/strfile
> /usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/src/games/fortune/strfile
> created
> for /usr/src/games/fortune/strfile
> rm -f .depend
> mkdep -f .depend -a
> -I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/legacy/usr/include
> /usr/src/games/fortune/strfile/strfile.c
> echo
> strfile: /storage/jail/usr/lib/libc.a
> /usr/obj/usr/src/i386/legacy/usr/lib/libegacy.a
>>> .depend
> cc -O -pipe  -I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/legacy/usr/include
> -c /usr/src/games/fortune/strfile/strfile.c
> make: don't know how to make /storage/jail/usr/lib/libc.a.
> Stop
> *** Error code 2
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
>
> This is reproducable on my hardware with RELEASE-5.3,
> RELEASE-5.3-p2
> and RELEASE-5.3-p5.  I found an email in the -questions
> mailing list
> in which the author has the same errors that I do
> attempting to build
> world.
>
> <http://docs.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?57d710000501131800788ec662>;
>
> If I replace:
> #make world DESTDIR=$D with
> #env DESTDIR=$D make world everything goes fine.
>
> (just for kicks I tested with /bin/sh /bin/csh and
> /usr/local/etc/zsh)
>
> I considered sending a patch for man 8 jail but thought it
> would be
> better to get input first.  If a solution isn't found I'll
> send-pr
> the docproj with a patch.
>
> --
> Thanks,
>
> Josh Paetzel

Hello. I have also had success with:

#/bin/tcsh
#setenv DESTDIR /path/to/jail
then follow the instructions for "Setting up a Jail
Directory Tree".

FYI: also look at "Managing Jails on FreeBSD 5" at
http://www.devco.net - invaluable and should be added, if
possible, to the jail man pages IMHO.

--
Viren Patel