Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 02:26:25 -0500
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@jason.argos.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   can't get iicbus working - ARRGH!

I messed around with this about a year ago, and now I'm messing around with
it again.

In a nutshell, I can NOT figure out how to get iic with lpbb working.  I
have tried all sorts of combinations of config file parameters from LINT,
man pages, etc.

My current config file has something like:
# Parallel port
device          ppc0    at isa? port 0x3bc flags 0x28 irq 7 drq 3
#device         ppc0    at isa? port 0x3bc flags 0x20 irq 7
device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
device          lpt             # Printer
device          ppi             # Parallel port interface device
#device         vpo             # Requires scbus and da
#device         plip            # TCP/IP over parallel
# I2C stuff
device          iicbus
device          iic
#device         ic
#device         iicsmb
device          iicbb
device          lpbb
#
device          smbus
device          intpm

The only boot messages I get that are related to this section are:
ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x3bc-0x3bf irq 7 drq 3 flags 0x20 on isa0
ppc0: Generic chipset (ECP/PS2/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppc0: FIFO with 16/16/16 bytes threshold
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Polled port ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0

When I added the last two lines (smbus, intpm), I did get the following:
intpm0: <Intel 82371AB Power management controller> port 0x5000-0x500f irq 9
at device 7.3 on pci0
intpm0: I/O mapped 5000
intpm0: intr IRQ 9 enabled revision 0
smbus0: <System Management Bus> on intsmb0
intpm0: PM I/O mapped 4000

...which is closer to any I2C or SMB references I've gotten to date.

Does anyone have this working?  If so, could you send me your config
file to look through?

Thanks - Mike