Date:      Mon, 01 Oct 2007 17:26:29 -0400
From:      Sean McAfee <smcafee@collaborativefusion.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PERC5 (LSI MegaSAS) Patrol Read crashes

John Baldwin wrote:
> On Saturday 29 September 2007 09:18:17 pm Benjie Chen wrote:
>
> Hmm, I haven't tried with megacli, but an internal tool at work is able to
> start manual patrol reads w/o causing a crash, and I've also seen production
> boxes running automatic patrol reads w/o causing crashes.  Do you have to
> have a certain load before it will crash?

The crashes that we've seen in production have occurred while patrol
reads kick off under moderate-high load, but in testing, an automatic
read will complete fine.  Even with maxed-out I/O*, we haven't been able
to come up with reliable testing scenario to trigger crashes on
automatic patrol reads.

(*My base testing scenario involved running a pretty heavy stress [as in
the program available in ports], while repeatedly copying ports & src
from an NFS mount to another local mountpoint and SCPing a large file in
a loop from another machine.)

Sean McAfee
Collaborative Fusion, Inc.
  smcafee@collaborativefusion.com
  412-422-3463 x 4025

1710 Murray Avenue, Suite 320
Pittsburgh, PA 15217

IMPORTANT: This message contains confidential information
and is intended only for the individual named. If the reader of
this message is not an intended recipient (or the individual
responsible for the delivery of this message to an intended
recipient), please be advised that any re-use, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message is prohibited. Please
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received
this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The
sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a
result of e-mail transmission.