Date:      Sun, 07 Apr 1996 21:00:19 +0200
From:      Marco Masotti <mc7953@mclink.it>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        mc7953@mclink.it
Subject:   Asus PVI486SP3 and Adaptec 2940 compatibility

I have problems in getting an Asus PVI486SP3 working with a 2940
controller. The Ide on board controller has been disabled, the video
card is CL 5430, ram is 16 Mb, disk is IBM 1.080 Gbyte, CD drive Sun (2X
standard).

FreeBSD is 2.1 release.

The problem is when accessing the CD drive, basically invalid data
format found when reading, with premature end of gizip'd files.

I've then tried top fall back on installing DOS, just to test out the
hardware configuration and I got reproducible hung up of the
configuration.

So, just before beginning to suspect a hardware failure either of the
controller or the motherboard, is there any knowledge of problems with
this hardware combination with or eventually without FreeBSD?

Thanks for any hints, rgds

Marco