Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 07:52:43 -0700 (MST)
From:      Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>, Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, mattc@rfcnet.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why /var/log/ppp.log

On Thu, 14 May 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > > Probably not a bad idea.  libalias would have to change to libnat too
> > > though (for consistency)....  Any views Charles (cc'd) ?
> >
> > It's misleading and inaccurate to refer to the "-alias" flag as the
> > "-nat" flag.
>
> -alias doesn't win many points for being accurate or even particularly
>  unambiguous either.  ifconfig, a close neighbor to ppp, also sports
>  an alias flag which people come frequently into contact with when
>  doing virtual web hosting.  Your better suggestion please?
>
> - Jordan

The library has been developing to have an increasingly generalized NAT
capability.  When it started out, I called it "packet aliasing".

One suggestion is to change the ppp flag to -pktalias or -pkt_alias, since
this is closer to the original intent.

With all due respect to Darren, I think that -nat would not also be a
fairly good option name for ppp.  I'm also not averse to changing libalias
to libnat and reworking some of the function names.  Ari Suutari and I
were doing some work to make a libalias3.0 which would support
transparent proxying.  Maybe the released version of this should be
libnat.

Personally, I think the ifconfig alias option is equally confusing and
should be called a secondary or virtual ip address.  I think "secondary"
would actually be the most appropriate term rather than "alias" for
ifconfig.

Charles Mott