Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2002 13:08:33 +0200
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        "Mike Loiterman" <mike@ascendency.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Inexpensive tape drive needed: IDE or SCSI?

Hi Mike!

On 15 Mar 02 at 1:39 you wrote:

> 3) If SCSI can't work with IDE, or if SCSI just isn't worth it, what
> IDE drives should I consider?  Again, under $200.

In my experience, IDE tape drives suck. You should try getting SCSI. I
don't see why SCSI controller should have any problems working in a
machine which also has IDE.

As to recommending specific drives, I can only say that I have HP SureStore
DDS-3 drive which is ca 3 years old and works fine in my FreeBSD machine,
backing up ca 10 GB every weeknight. It can back up 20 GB uncompressed,
somewhat more when using hardware compression.
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* Avoid those abysmally horrible, outrageously repellent exaggerations.