Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:45:50 +0100
From:      "Frank Shute" <frank@esperance-linux.co.uk>
To:        Byung-Hee HWANG <bh@izb.knu.ac.kr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is your Thunderbird OK?

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 07:24:34PM +0900, Byung-Hee HWANG wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 11:41 +0330, Bahman M. wrote:
> > Byung-Hee HWANG wrote:
> > > Just been wondering about this for long weeks. I have some complain
> > > Thudnerbird's the speed when it start up on FreeBSD. Its speed is very
> > > slow. While thunderbird start up, I go to brew coffee. Aside from that,
> > > Thunderbird is the best MUA, indeed.
> > >
> > > FYI, this is my information:
> > > bh@viola:~> uname -v
> > > FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p7 #1: Wed Aug 22 08:47:36 KST 2007
> > > root@viola.izb.knu.ac.kr:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
> > > bh@viola:~> pkg_info | grep thunderbird
> > > thunderbird-1.5.0.7_1 Mozilla Thunderbird is standalone mail [...]
> > > bh@viola:~>
> > >
> > > I _really_ want to share opinions about this topic (Thunderbird's start
> > > up speed) with you FreeBSD users.
> > >
> > > What do you think of?
> >
> > Does the problem occur only at startup?  What's the size of
> > Thunderbird's image in memory?  I'd read somewhere that to speed up
> > things, Thunderbird keeps emails in memory; however I'm not sure if it
> > applies to 1.5.0.
> >
> I just use default setting, so I don't know my Thunderbird's memory in
> detail. However, I took a top(1)'s screenshot while thunderbird is
> active. Here is the screenshot:
>
> http://izb.knu.ac.kr/~bh/stuff/20070924-tb-ss.png [image/png 223k]

Your machine needs more memory. Thunderbird will be hitting swap on
start up, which is why it's slow.

If you can't add more memory for some reason, then you'll have to run
lighter weight programs.

Even just doubling your memory to 512MB would be an improvement but
I'd recommend 1GB. I have 3GB and my machine never hits swap.

--

 Frank

 Contact info: http://www.esperance-linux.co.uk/misc/contact.html