Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 18:46:37 -0700
From:      "Doug Brent" <doug@whistle.com>
To:        <chat@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <chris@netmonger.net>
Subject:   A New Day at Whistle

I don't subscribe to this list so I'm sure my name is unfamiliar to you.
I'm Doug Brent, and for the last three years I have headed up
development at Whistle. Recently, Terry Lambert and Julian Elischer
(names I'm sure _are_ more familiar to you) passed along a note to me
posted on this list from Chistopher Masto with some concerns as to the
future of the InterJet and our customers (Whistle's FreeBSD-based
hardware/software product). I want to thank Christopher for raising
these concerns, because undoubtedly other people have them as well.

As you may or may not know, Whistle was purchased by IBM about eight
weeks ago. The reason why Whistle agreed to join IBM is that we think we
are going to be delivering some killer small business solutions with
IBM. Further, as part of IBM, our reach, and the corresponding ability
to make a lot of small business's lives better, grows enormously.
And--as you might expect--until we are ready to make some public
announcements, I can't say much about our future plans (though the wait
won't be long).

Here's what I can say.

We will continue to support our existing customers in accordance with
the agreements we have in place with them. Although we haven't been
perfect, our team take customer satisfaction very seriously.

A new Whistle FreeBSD-based platform is now shipping in Japan and has
already been reviewed in the U.S--winning the PC Magazine Editor's
Choice Award; see:
http://www.zdnet.com/products/stories/reviews/0,4161,404538,00.html

Stay tuned for our upcoming plans.

No one can fully predict the future, so I can't make "forever"
statements about software direction. I can say that our next products
will be based on FreeBSD, and--plug, plug--we are always looking to hire
knowledgeable FreeBSD folks. We will continue to contribute code to the
FreeBSD community (and other Open Source projects) and will find other
ways to support the community. For example, Whistle has pledged to
support the upcoming FreeBSD Conference with $2,000.

I know this isn't a lot of data, and I still thought it was worth it to
make this post. I hope it helps somewhat. Our goal: make better
solutions that attract a lot more customers, and make us an even bigger
FreeBSD success story.

Thanks for your interest.

Doug
Doug Brent