Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 1999 14:55:58 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@unix.tfs.net>
To:        bright@hotjobs.com (Alfred Perlstein)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Forward all spam to UCE@FTC.GOV

In reply:
> On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Jim Bryant wrote:
>
> > In reply:

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Well, you seem to believe FreeBSD systems exist only in US....
> >
> > actually i don't...  and i agree that it should be an option.
> > something that is already set up, and can be turned on with either a
> > switch or by uncommenting something.
>
> (let's move this to -chat?)
>
> Since spam is mass mailing automating replies will swamp the poor folks at
> FTC.
>
> If anything, a spam condensing local server for a region that co-odinated
> with a centralized server to reduce dup'ing spam complaints (and perhaps
> keep a count would be a good thing)

you mean reduce the number of submissions to give a false impression
that the problem isn't as bad as it really is.  stop defending
spammers.

the more submissions, the faster something gets done.  anything else
would give a false impression that the problem is smaller than it
really is, and thus more of the same ineffective regulation that we
already have.

let the reduction and counting be done by the FTC which more than
probably already has such measures in place locally.  let them
standardize what they do with it, anything else is obstruction of
justice.

i'm sorry if i'm reading you wrong, but i understand how the
government operates.  also, anyone who doesn't take a hard-line stand
on this topic can't be trusted, and is part of the problem.  to not
deal with spammers ruthlessly is to pander to spammers.

if a million people forward a million copies of the exact same spam,
but addressed to each individual that forwards it will get something
done.  one copy and a note saying that it went to a million people
means nothing.  a thousand individual spams a day forwarded by the
recipients in a billon seperate submissions a day will have a new
consumer-friendly/isp-friendly law passed in short order with means of
enforcement.  a thousand messages with a note saing that each went to
a million people means nothing, and thus nothing gets done.

let the FTC do the reduction.  they did not ask for reduced data.

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or