Date:      08 Jun 2001 13:54:58 +0100
From:      Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bind 9 issues

Hi all,

I'm having some problems with a name server. The machine is performing
master dns services for the machines in my home. The ip range is
192.168.1.0/24

The DNS server IP is 192.168.1.30. It has zones for mydomain.home and
1.168.192.in-addr.arpa. It is listening on port 53 and I have set
auth-nxdomain to yes.

Other machines on the network can do both forwards and reverse lookups
against this server fine... however, this machine can't use itself as
a nameserver. I have tried putting the following in my resolv.conf

domain mydomain.home
nameserver 192.168.1.30
nameserver 127.0.0.1

I have tried just one of those nameserver lines at a time. If I try
and do a host marvin.mydomain.home 192.168.1.30
I get a message saying
connection timeout; no servers could be reached.

From another machine (192.168.1.1) I can do
host marvin.mydomain.home 192.168.1.30
and I get a response of 192.168.1.30

Any ideas on how to fix this?

The main reason for needing to fix this is that if the server can't do
lookups against itself (eg for the 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa range), it
can't lookup addresses for my hosts so things like ssh and smtp to
this machine are slow.

TIA,

--
- Wayne Pascoe