Date:      Sun, 8 Jul 2001 08:58:23 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   userconfig fails during 4.3R install

I'm trying to install 4.3-RELEASE from CD to a pre-loved machine
that had been running 4.2 happily before the disks were wiped.
The problem, I suspect, is that I need to get into userconfig
to resolve some conflict but the install CD and floppies aren't
letting me do so. There also appears to be something preventing
the use of userconfig during the installation boot-up.
Here's what happens.

1. Freeze after CD boot

When I boot off the 4.3 CD, I get the normal "press any key to
boot now or wait ten seconds" prompt, at which it responds to my
keystrokes (or waits) and continues obediently. It doesn't stop
to offer userconfig but goes straight through to the install menu.
All looks good, but it's frozen, my keyboard doesn't work, big red
switch time.

This is the kind of thing that would normally cause me to have a
real good look in userconfig to fix any conflicts that could be
causing the freeze. But userconfig refuses to play (see below).
There is no time to read any of the device detection output during
boot, nor can I scroll back to it after the freeze, of course.

Exactly the same story happens when booting of two sets of install
floppies made from the CD. This same CD and boot floppies have
performed other 4.3 installs, so they should be OK. Again, exactly
the same things happen using the 4.2R CD.
There are no problems at all booting/installing off the 4.0R CD.

2. bizarre userconfig babble

When I stop at the prompt during the boot off the 4.3 CD, to
manually force userconfig (set boot_userconfig or boot -c),
then, at about the time I would expect userconfig to come up,
I get a never-ending screenful of text moving too fast to read,
but it looks like the word "config " repeated over and over.

Again, exactly the same things happen when booting of boot floppies
made from the CD, and exactly the same things happen using the 4.2R CD.
There are no problems at all booting/installing off the 4.0R CD (or
even the 2.2.6 CD!)

If it's a simple hardware conflict, I'd need to get into userconfig but
have no way to do that. Since userconfig isn't willing to make itself
useful anyway, perhaps the cause is something quite different, or
something silly I've overlooked.

How am I going to install this thing? Do I really have to install 4.0
then grab the 4.3 sources off CD and make world? :-(

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-