Date:      Sat, 19 May 2001 01:04:25 -0500
From:      "Victor R. Cardona" <vcardona@home.com>
To:        Richard <congressman_dogbert@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A few questions.....

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 10:31:54PM -0700, Richard wrote:
> Hi,sometimes I come across a link to FreeBSD.I always wonder what kind of an OS it is.I got a question,or two.First:Can I run Windows98 and FreeBSD,or can I switch between the two OS' ??

You can install both of them, and then choose which one you want to
boot into. You cannot run them both at the same time unless you buy
special software (i.e. VMware).

> 2nd:If I want to install FreeBSD on my computer,is a Pentium II 300MHz processor with MMx Technology,160MB RAM,32X CD-ROM,One 1.44' floppy drive,operating Windows 98 1st edition.

Your computer is fine. You would just need to make room on the hard
drive in order to install FreeBSD.

> 3rd:When FreeBSD is installed,can I play games that do not say anything about operating their game under FreeBSD?

No. Windows games will not run on FreeBSD. The Linux games from Loki
will run on FreeBSD, but you might have problems with the ones that
require 3D hardware acceleration.

> 4th:What's the difference between FreeBSD and Windows 98??

FreeBSD is based on the University of California's version of the UNIX
operating system. FreeBSD is more stable, less resource intensive, and
a much more powerful operating system than Windows. FreeBSD is used on
many of the busiest servers on the Internet. FreeBSD is also an open
sourced operating system. This allows anyone to look at the code, and
customize it to their needs.

> 5th:Once FreeBSD is installed,can I install Windows 98 later on if I do not like FreeBSD??

Yes.

For more information, I suggest you check out
http://www.freebsd.org. There is a lot on information available
there. If you do decide to give FreeBSD a try, and find that you have
questions then post them here and we will try to help.

-v
--
Victor R. Cardona
vcardona@home.com

                "Behold the keyboard of Kahless, the greatest Klingon
                  code warrior that ever lived!"