Date:      Tue, 03 Dec 2002 01:00:35 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        mike@sentex.net
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CF Geometry issues

In message: <5.2.0.9.0.20021202151135.05207340@marble.sentex.ca>
            Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net> writes:
:
: Just to follow up on this issue, I was not able to get any of my Verbatim
: brand CF cards to work to the point where they would boot (I could newfs
: and write to them no problem, but never was I able to boot).  However, I
: went out and got a Lexar and SanDisk based CF and no problem what so ever.
:
: ad0: 123MB <LEXAR ATA FLASH> [984/8/32] at ata0-master BIOSPIO
: and
: ad0: 61MB <SanDisk SDCFB-64> [490/8/32] at ata0-master BIOSPIO
:
: I am somewhat surprised as I didnt think there would be any such difference.

There's a *HUGE* difference in flash parts, even parts that have the
same label on the front can have radically different geometries.

I've not been able to produce reliable boot disks on the CF <-> USB
parts.  They just don't do the geometry in a compatible way with our
boot blocks.  I've never had a problem using a CF <-> PCMCIA adapter,
however, except when the flash part was in the process of dying.

Warner