Date:      Tue, 01 Feb 2011 20:17:36 +0100
From:      Ralf Folkerts <ralf.folkerts@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Check 64 bit DMA from Disk-Controller (amd64/135040)

Hi,

I asked this a while ago but didn't get a reply - as, however, no one=20
replied that such a check is impossible I'd like to ask again:

My SB600 ATA-Controller used to cause massive Problems (from disk not=20
being detected at all to disk being detected but later "trashed" during=20
buildworld) with DMA with 4G RAM. I circumvented that by setting=20
"hw.physmem=3D4g", as recommended by John Baldwin.

Now I'd like to perform a test, if this DMA-issue was *really* fixed by=20
a recent BIOS-Update.

How can such a test being performed? Or is it impossible at all?

I already ran several buildworld/buildkernel instalworld/installkernel=20
to a "fresh" disk in a row after the BIOS-Update - and didn't see any=20
Problems - unlike previously where the disk was at latest trashed during =

the first run.

However, I have no idea whether these runs were successful because of=20
the DMA issue being fixed or simply because by some coincidence no DMA=20
was being performed beyond 32 bit addressability.

Would really be cool to get some confidence - as I'd like to run ZFS but =

don't think it'll be much fun with the hw.physmem being set to 4g :-(

Many thanks in advance!

Btw: System is now "8.1-STABLE FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE #0: Fri Nov 12=20
19:45:42 CET 2010 amd64"

I ran my Tests against the 8.1 RELEASE (booted off USB Stick, then=20
installed to a "fresh" disk.

Cheers,
_ralf_