Date:      Sun, 29 May 2011 01:18:29 +0000
From:      Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Out of Range ..., troubleshoot xorg

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 12:56 AM, Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 28 May 2011, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>
>> I have a machine that was working fine with a flat panel monitor at
>> work. =A0I brought the machine home to connect to a TV with PC input and
>> I get Out of Range message. =A0X does not start.
>
> Remove the Modes setting in xorg.conf and let X figure it out based on th=
> monitor's EDID data. =A0For example, leaving out the Screen section entir=
ely
> has worked for me with monitors from 1024x768 up to 1920x1200 or so.

I have no Xorg.conf file and I try to generate it, it the process just
hangs :(,

# Xorg -configure

and then test the /root/xorg.conf.new file with the given command
returns Monitor out of Range.

in the xorg.conf file, there is no Monitor Name and Monitor Model, the
lines are empty with no HorizSync or VertRefresh.  I try the same with
a livecd(linux) and I don't get a HorizSync or VertRefresh settings
either :(

bash-4.1# cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep "Monitor"
Section "Monitor"
Identifier   "Monitor0"
VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
ModelName    "Monitor Model"
Monitor    "Monitor0"

# xrandr -q returns

bash-4.1# xrandr -q
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1360 x 768, maximum 4096 x 4096
VGA-1 connected 1360x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 930mm x 523mm
   1360x768       60.0*+   59.8
   1024x768       60.0
   800x600        60.3
   640x480        60.0

I am looking to try a magical command sort of like
xrandr 1360x768 .....

after logging in and then startx, after successfull, the command will
be added to
.bash_login which starts X automagicallly as configured before.

Thanks Warren for helping me out.  But my experiences with xrandr are
limited.  I knew how to troubleshoot with HorizSync and VertRefresh
and add them to xorg.conf in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but I don't appear to
get any :(

Regards,

Antonio