Date:      Tue, 13 May 2008 13:19:25 -0400
From:      "Alexandre \"Sunny\" Kovalenko" <gaijin.k@gmail.com>
To:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA APM and NCQ support in FreeBSD atacontrol

On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 14:52 +1000, Ian Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 11 May 2008 jonathan@kc8onw.net wrote:
>  > Has any work been done recently towards adding SATA Native Command
>  > Queueing as well as ATA APM and acoustic management to FreeBSD?
>  >
>  > I found this PR (with patch) to add APM and acoustic management control to
>  > atacontrol.  The PR was opened in May 2005 has not been changed since
>  > December 2006 and is still open.
>  > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=81692&cat=
>  >
>  > I have not been able to find much of anything on SATA NCQ in FreeBSD newer
>  > than 2005 or 2006 does anyone know anything newer?
>
> Jeremy has addressed the NCQ issue, about which I know nothing.
>
> As for APM and AAM, that functionality is handled by sysutils/ataidle,
> which that PR appears - on a quick glance - to pretty well duplicate.
>
> I see phk@ recently added an 'atacontrol spindown' command to HEAD and
> RELENG_7 that appears to offer similar functionality to 'ataidle -S
> standby_mins' or 'ataidle -I idle_mins', though specified in seconds
> instead.  However this doesn't address acoustic management.
>
> Or is ataidle broken for SATA disks?
Does not look broken here (RELENG_7):

RabbitsDen# ataidle /dev/ad4
Device Info:

Model:			HTS541010G9SA00
Serial:			MP2ZM4X0JWY6WH
Firmware Rev:		MBZIC60H
ATA revision:		ATA-7
LBA 48:			yes
Geometry:		16383 cyls, 16 heads, 63 spt
Capacity:		93GB
SMART Supported: 	yes
SMART Enabled: 		yes
APM Supported: 		yes
APM Enabled: 		yes
AAM Supported: 		yes
AAM Enabled: 		yes
Current AAM: 		1
Vendor Recommends AAM: 	1
APM Value: 		16638
RabbitsDen# atacontrol list
ATA channel 0:
    Master:      no device present
    Slave:       no device present
ATA channel 1:
    Master:      no device present
    Slave:       no device present
ATA channel 2:
    Master:  ad4 <HTS541010G9SA00/MBZIC60H> Serial ATA v1.0
    Slave:       no device present
ATA channel 3:
    Master:      no device present
    Slave:       no device present
ATA channel 4:
    Master:      no device present
    Slave:       no device present
ATA channel 5:
    Master:      no device present
    Slave:       no device present
atacontrol: ioctl(IOCATADEVICES): Device not configured
RabbitsDen# uname -a
FreeBSD RabbitsDen.RabbitsLawn.verizon.net 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE
#1: Sun May 11 20:31:21 EDT 2008
root@RabbitsDen.RabbitsLawn.verizon.net:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/TPX60
i386
RabbitsDen#