Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 13:46:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        kpielorz@tdx.co.uk, rjebara@palnet.com
Subject:   Re: Hardware RAID for FreeBSD

> other than the DPT boards .. have you guys had any
> success with other RAID controlers like Adaptec or AMI

I was really disappointed with the performance I was getting out of the
DPT.  It was easy to saturate the poor thing.  Further investigation
suggests that this is probably because RAID parity calculation is done
by the on-board CPU rather than by silicon.  Under normal operation, I
only need 1 or 2 MB/s writes, but being limited to not much more than
that by the DPT would have been very irritating.

SCSI-to-SCSI RAID controllers are nicer and the Mylex can be configured
from the front panel (as opposed to something like the DPT SmartRAID IV
which requires a DOS app).

They appear to the OS as an actual storage device, rather than as a
number of discrete drives.  This means that you can install OS and stuff
on them too, because the PC BIOS sees them as a single drive too.

da1 at ahc0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
da1: <MYLEX DAC960SX 61278B5 4332> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da1: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 16, 16bit), Tagged Queueing Enabled
da1: 61278MB (125497344 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 7811C)

CMD makes a smaller and I believe less expensive unit.  If you are less into
performance and simply need RAID5 ability, that may be the way to go... it
is half-height too, as opposed to the full-height Mylex.  However, the CMD
unit has some performance limits (#tags, as I recall).

The DAC960SX comes in a three-channel config (2 drive, 1 host) with 16MB
cache for a bit more than $2K.

... Joe