Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 20:40:48 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0-STABLE dhcp conflicts.

n message <14559.40450.544687.51037@trooper.velocet.net>, David Gilbert
writes
:
> It appears that when I run two (not sure if one does it) tcpdumps on
> the dhcp server, the dhcp clients don't get any responses to their
> queries.  Is there some flaw in the dhcpd bpf rules?

I suspect that the dhcp server set the interface to promiscuous mode so
it can listen for broadcasts.  Tcpdump sets up an interface for
promiscuous opertion and when you exit tcpdump it returns it to
non-promiscuous operation.  Killing and restarting your dhcp server
after exiting tcpdump should solve your problem, as it will set the
interface up for promiscuous operation again.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC