Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 1996 21:47:43 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        jhs@freebsd.org
Cc:        bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installation 2.1.6

As Julian H. Stacey wrote:

> Installing 2.1.6 on a new box ...
> When I had no tape in the st0 drive
> there was an error message about no tape drives available,

That's poor behaviour, but documented.

> so I started thinking hardware fault .. not so ...
> error message is misleading, it should have said no _media_ available.

Diffs are welcome.  Right now, sysinstall simply tries to open(2) the
special file.  Due to the poor errno mechanism, it cannot distinguish
between no media available and device probe failed: both are meant to
be ENXIO (if the driver has been implemented correctly).

With a working DEVFS, this might change: device probe failed should
translate into ENOENT then. ;)

--
cheers, J"org