Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:25:03 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Steven Hartland <killing@barrysworld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Whats the state of SCHED_ULE 5.1

--VS++wcV0S1rZb1Fb

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 05:02:19PM +0100, Steven Hartland wrote:
> Whats the state of SCHED_ULE in 5.1 we are using 5.1-RELEASE
> for running game servers and Im considering looking at using=20
> SCHED_ULE but wanted to know if anyone had any feedback
> on its current state e.g. whats its good at what its not good at / any
> issues?

There are still known problems with it (see mailing list archives).
Problems I have seen include: CPU stats are not updated for sleeping
processes (leading to a weird top(1) experience), interactive
performance is not as good as SCHED_4BSD when under load, and there
seem to still be problems with the scheduling of niced processes
(e.g. nice +20 processes still grab CPU away from others).  My
recommendation would be to try it for yourself if you can spare the
time, otherwise stick with SCHED_4BSD for now.

Kris
--VS++wcV0S1rZb1Fb

--VS++wcV0S1rZb1Fb--