Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 2004 23:25:31 -0500
From:      Barry Hawkins <barry@yepthatsme.com>
To:        FreeBSD PowerPC <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>, Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Questions regarding installation

On Mar 3, 2004, at 10:12 PM, Barry Hawkins wrote:

> On Mar 3, 2004, at 9:42 PM, Peter Grehan wrote:
>
>> Hi Barry,
>>
>>> [0] http://people.freebsd.org/~grehan/install.html
>>
>>  I've updated install.html to cover your questions. Also, I've
>> put up a softlink which points to the latest distribution, and
>> also updated that to a very recent one which includes libthr
>> and Kauai ATA support.
>>
>>  http://people.freebsd.org/~grehan/ppc-root-latest.tbz2
>>                                    kernel
>>                                    loader
>>
>> later,
>>
>> Peter.
>>

> Peter,
> 	I am attempting to create my installation CD in Panther (Mac OS
> 10.3).  Are there any caveats to be aware of in trying to do that?  I
> will be using mkisofs from fink, which is version 1.15.a39.  When I
> unzip ppc-root-latest.tbz2 using "tar -xjvf" (bzip2 Version 1.0.2) to
> get the files for the minimal directory tree, I get errors that
> concern me, like:
>
> ./usr/share/man/man8/NIS.8.gz
> tar: ./usr/share/man/man8/NIS.8.gz: Cannot hard link to
> `./usr/share/man/man8/yp.8.gz': (null)
> ./usr/share/man/man8/rc.serial.8.gz
> ./usr/share/man/man8/rc.shutdown.8.gz
> ./usr/share/man/man8/nis.8.gz
> tar: ./usr/share/man/man8/nis.8.gz: Cannot hard link to
> `./usr/share/man/man8/yp.8.gz': (null)
>
> 	Hopefully I will get to a point of productivity soon.

It looks like I successfully made a CD, and it reads fine with the "dir
cd:,\" command.  Next question: how fast do you have to press that
space bar?  I am doing this on my Titanium PowerBook G4 500MHz circa
March 2001, and I don't seem to be able to keep it from booting the
kernel.  I am pretty sure that I am down to less than 500 milliseconds
between hitting enter on the boot command and hitting the space bar.

Thanks,
--
Barry C. Hawkins
All Things Computed