Date:      Sun, 1 Nov 1998 08:38:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, lists@tar.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, jb@cimlogic.com.au
Subject:   Re: Kernel threading (was Re: Thread Scheduler bug)

Richard Seaman, Jr. wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Oct 1998 14:08:43 -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> >I agree.  While not perhaps adopting the perfect approach, at least
> >Richard brings some very welcome *movement* to an issue which has been
> >stalled for a regrettably long period of time.  Let's try to run
> >(cooperatively) with this and hopefully arrive at some working,
> >architecturally clean kernel threads for FreeBSD!
>
> Just to be clear.  I'm happy to co-operate and share code with anyone.
> In fact, I'd be happy for someone else to just handle it all.  In the
> absence of someone else will to handle it all, I'm happy to contribute
> what I can.
>
> The *only* reason I'd be hesitant to share any code at this moment
> is that its still pretty messy, and I'd be embarrassed, and since
> its barely tested, people would rightfully shoot all kinds of holes
> in it.  When its in a better state I'd be happy to post it somewhere
> where anyone can whack at it.

I'd like to help in this effort, but I'd first like to see
exactly what threading model is desired.  Do we want a Solaris
lightweight process model with the ability have both bound
and unbound user threads?  Or do we want libpthread to keep
a one-one mapping of threads to kernel threads?

After some decision on what direction kernel threads should
take, we can then talk about the design and implementation.

Dan Eischen
eischen@vigrid.com