Date:      Mon, 02 Dec 2002 14:17:37 +1100
From:      Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
To:        Adam Weinberger <adamw@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: debugging wheel mouse

> I disagree. The necessity of "protocol auto" is documented all the heck
> over the place, from the Handbook to the FAQ to the README.mouse file
> that comes with X itself.

Well, I spent a week or so reading the FAQ, searching the mail lists, reading
man pages and never saw  the fact that "protocol auto" gave different results
to "protocol sysmouse" mentioned - nor the fact that although "protocol auto"
reports it is using "sysmouse", it is not the same.   That is just plain
confusing and should be prominently mentioned.  I never saw any such mention,
despite plenty of effort to solve this problem, so I reckon it needs better
documenting.

And, README.mouse says,

>3.3  FreeBSD
>
>FreeBSD supports the "SysMouse" protocol which must be specified when the
>moused daemon is running in versions 2.2.1 or later.
>
>When running the mouseddaemon, you must always specify the /dev/sysmouse
>device and the "SysMouse" protocol to the X server, regardless of the actual
>type of your mouse.

which actually tells you to do the +wrong+ thing.