Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2000 16:30:55 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        Jonathan Michaels <jon@welearn.com.au>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: When does the 4.x branch go stable?

In message <v04220815b49f8c375699@[195.238.1.121]>, Brad Knowles writes:
> At 11:46 PM +1100 2000/1/10, Jonathan Michaels wrote:
>
> >  what  sort of hardware problems, please ?
>
> 	Issues with some older Pentium motherboards apparently losing
> their minds (and their timing interrupts) with the new ATA driver
> (replaces the old wd driver).  There are also some issues with
> laptops and PC Cards, especially CardBus cards.

I currently have a couple of older machines, a P120 and a 486DX/33
happily running 3.4.  Would you recommend installing 4.0-current on a
spare slice to verify whether it will run on these older machines or
should I wait until -current settles down, e.g. is more or less in a
bug-fix state?

Any other pitfalls one would need to consider prior to running this
kind of test?

Sun/DEC Team, UNIX Group    Internet:  Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD
Province of BC