Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 14:55:32 +1100
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        John Indra <john@office.naver.co.id>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What does "icmp redirect" mean?

> Hi all...
>
> I have this line in my /etc/rc.conf:
> icmp_log_redirect="YES"
>
> One day, I saw this in my daily crontab run message:
> icmp redirect from 1.2.3.4: 2.3.4.5 => 2.3.4.5
>
> What does it mean?

Well, it would probably look more sensible if you put in the real IP
addresses and something of your network topology...

An ICMP redirect is an indication that you sent a packet to the wrong
place, and you could have sent it to the right place.

For example, consider this setup:

                     192.168.1.0/24
        |                   |                     |
       1|                   |100                  |200
      -----               -----                 -----
       PC                 router                router
                          -----                 -----
                            |100                  |
                            |                     |
                     --------------               ----- Lots of networks
                     192.168.2.0/24

For simplicity, you just set a default route on the PC that points
to 192.168.1.200, which is a router connected to lots of networks,
but not 192.168.2.0/24.

When the PC tries to talk to 192.168.2.5, it realises the address
is not local and sends the packet to the default router.  The router
at 192.168.1.200 looks at it, and realises that the best route is
back the way the packet came in, and sends it to 192.168.1.100.

In addition, 192.168.1.200 figures you don't know 192.168.1.100 is
the gateway to 192.168.2.0, so it sends an ICMP redirect which says
"you sent this packet to me, but you should be able to talk to the
correct gateway which is 192.168.1.100".

Basically it's trying to avoid unnecessary handling.

In many cases people prefer to have most systems with just a default
route, which is why you don't even necessarily want to log ICMP redirects.

However, an attacker could inject ICMP redirects into your network to
get you to send traffic somewhere it shouldn't go (like his PC), so
many people like to configure "sensitive" systems to ignore ICMP redirects,
and to have them logged in various places on their network.

Cheers,
Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319