Date:      Mon, 09 Apr 2001 23:34:25 -0400
From:      The Babbler <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Yann Sommer <yann@yann.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why not stick with [STABLE] [Was: RE: Releases]

Yann Sommer wrote:

> Heya all,
>
> I've been following this thread with some extra attention, since I remember
> beeing new to FreeBSD and complaining about a dedicated Server I ordered,
> running BETA. It is just, as has been mentioned a few times before on this
> list, against what other programms use for version naming.
> But, in my humble opinion I think the easiest solution has not been
> mentioned here before. Why not just suffix the old version description to
> stable, like:
>
> 4.3-STABLE-BETA
> 4.3-STABLE-RC
> 4.3-STABLE-FINAL
>
> or something in that direction. The essential word "STABLE" which gives the
> newer users the trust in a system (allthough it's kind of stupid after
> knowing the exact naming, but heh, nobody gets born with all knowledge ;),
> and at the same time sticks with the naming BSD users are used to.

Something in that direction might be good, but the proposal in & of
itself wouldn't work if BSD sticks with the current scheme whereby the
number isn't incremented 'til the first Beta, becuase the entire
sequence would then be:

4.3-STABLE-BETA
4.3-STABLE-RC
4.3-STABLE-FINAL
4.3-STABLE                  (huh???  Now we get questions later)
4.4-STABLE-BETA

but maybe:

4.3-STABLE-ENCHANCED  or  4.3-STABLE-POSTFINAL  or something; or

or

4.3-STABLE-BETA
4.3-STABLE-RC
4.3-STABLE-FINAL
4.4-STABLE-DEVEL           (bump up the # at the beginning of "ordinary
time" rather than the end)
4.4-STABLE-BETA