Date:      Mon, 19 May 1997 17:22:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, r3cgm@cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD keyboard ioctl troubles

> When I try to run /usr/sbin/kbdcontrol (in FreeBSD v2.2.1) I get the
> error message:
>
>   [hornet.cdrom.com : root] /usr/sbin - kbdcontrol -r fast
>   setting keyboard rate: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>
> Do you know why this wouldn't be working?

You're not doing this from X windows are you?  If so, you want to
modify your XF86Config file to add AutoRepeat in the Keyboard
section.

# **********************************************************************
# Keyboard section
# **********************************************************************

Section "Keyboard"

    Protocol    "Standard"

# when using XQUEUE, comment out the above line, and uncomment the
# following line

#    Protocol   "Xqueue"

    AutoRepeat  250 1000
# Let the server do the NumLock processing.  This should only be required
# when using pre-R6 clients
#    ServerNumLock

[ etc ]

Dan Eischen