Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 2000 11:56:44 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIC settings

> > A major preoccupation with network administrators these days seems to be
> > monitoring and worrying about the number of collisions seen on Ethernet
> > networks. There is a great deal of folklore and voodoo concerning what
> > is an "acceptable" collision rate or collision percentage, and when is
> > the network "broken" or on the verge of collapse. Except in the most
> > extreme of circumstances (all of which are observable through other,
> > better metrics), the number of collisions seen on a network in an
> > uninteresting and misleading statistic.

	Good point, I was once in a room with about 200 computers hooked
On one side of the room there was a bank of hubs and switches. In the
space of a two minutes or so, there was easily a couple thousand
collisions. It didn't really seem to be affecting anyone. On the other
hand I believe it was also a Token-Ring Novell Network... :)

						Rick