Date:      Wed, 3 Nov 1999 10:56:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GENERIC build broken

:> I think most if not all the ethernet cards I or my customers
:> have bought over the last year have sported mighty fine netboot
:> capabilities.
:
:FWIW, few of the cards I've bought over the years sport netboot.  And,
:netboot is an impossibility in 'embedded' systems that use things like
:PCMCIA/CARDBUS, which are becoming common-place for embedded routers and
:such.
:
:Netboot (IMO) is an unacceptable solution to many folks.  It seems that
:'progress' in this case means removing alot of existing functionality
:that is used by a number of folks.
:
:(CDROM root, BOOTP, etc...)
:
:Nate

    The day that any of us can walk into a well-stocked CompUSA store and
    see more then 70% of the network card brands sport a netboot capability
    out of the box is the day that we can start to think about doing without
    the kernel BOOTP code.

    That day may not come for a few years.  It certainly isn't here now.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>