Date:      Mon, 04 Dec 1995 17:54:59 -0600
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@tribe.com>
Cc:        julian@ref.tfs.com (Julian Elischer), erich@lodgenet.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ethernet card configuration programs

Archie Cobbs writes:

>Well, I tried this and... it seems to work! That is, it works with
>"atlantic.c" but not with "ne2k.c", because ne2k.c also uses "outb_p"
>and "inb_p", which this command has something to do with, I think:

from the linux asm/*.h directory it looks like outb_p() and inb_p() are
outb() and inb() with some type of bounds checking.  you should be able
to use outb() and inb().

>    /* The following is needed for SLOW_DOWN_IO. */
>    if (ioperm(0x80, 1, 1)) {
>	perror("io-perm");
>	return 1;
>    }

from the linux ioperm man page, this looks like it sets the permissons
on one byte of io-address space starting at 0x80 to `1'.  I'd guess
that it allows access access to io-port 0x80.  We don't have that fine
a grain of control over access in FreeBSD, just opening "/dev/io" lets you
run hog-wild in the io-space.  I think that io-port 0x80 is the
DMA page registers, does that make sense?

>Thanks for the help!
>-Archie

>_
>Archie L. Cobbs, archie@tribe.com  *  Tribe Computer Works http://www.tribe.co